In 2018 I have reviewed nearly seventy albums and listened to many more. The albums I have chosen to review have all connected with me for different reasons, so picking a favourites list feels strange and almost cruel to those I have left out. And yet such a list is also a satisfying way to reflect on the year in music, as a writer and a fan.
In the end I have chosen thirty favourite albums of the year for this list. I have based my choices on a combination of gut instinct and how often I listened to an album. Be aware that my mood changes so much that anything beyond the top four albums might have changed order if I wrote this tomorrow.
This list includes links to my original album reviews, rather than risk repeating myself. Please let me know your favourites in the comments.
30. Kari Arnett – When the Dust Settles
29. Cat Power – Wanderer
28. Haley Heynderickx – I Need to Start A Garden
27. Pearl Charles – Sleepless Dreamer
26. Shemekia Copeland – America’s Child
25. Lindi Ortega – Liberty
24. Sarah Shook & The Disarmers – Years
23. Kendl Winter – Stumbler’s Business
22. Tracyanne & Danny – Tracyanne & Danny
21. Courtney Patton – What It’s Like To Fly Alone
20. Faustina Masigat – Faustina Masigat
19. Karine Polwart – Laws of Motion
18. Natalia Lafourcade – Musas Vol 2
17. Lori McKenna – The Tree
16. Marissa Nadler – For My Crimes
15. Juliana Hatfield Sings Olivia Newton John
14. I’m With Her – See You Around
13. Lucy Dacus – Historian
12. Ashley Monroe – Sparrow
11. Erin Rae – Putting on Airs
10. Janelle Monae – Dirty Computer
9. The War & Treaty – Healing Tide
8. Amanda Shires – To The Sunset
7. Brandi Carlile – By The Way, I Forgive You
6. Mitski – Be The Cowboy
5. First Aid Kit – Ruins
4. Belly – Dove
3. Kacey Musgraves – Golden Hour
2. Pistol Annies – Interstate Gospel
1. Courtney Marie Andrews – May Your Kindness Remain
Read my personal essay on the album of the year here.
Thanks to all my readers for their support this year. You can listen to highlights from each of these albums in my playlist below.